Friday, October 4, 2013

This Penny


I would not spend this penny
to buy the world,
this penny that caused me to
bend over in the coffee shop entrance,
my foot braced against the
steamed glass door as
the full pool of morning voices
and the liquid chocolate scent
of wellness spilled past me into the street,
while I removed my glove and
freed my fingers to lift this penny
from a crack in the walk,
not thinking of money at all,
but of luck perched in the air
like tropical birds,
of the countless heaven seeds
I have hurried past that
would have sprouted in my hand,
like this tarnished penny
that caused me to drop
my bag and my hat and to
become the silly man blocking
the coffee shop entrance
while people I didn’t know
waited in the cold,
annoyed or amused, fated to wait,
and one of them… was you.

No comments:

Post a Comment