Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chasing a Word

















Van Gogh painted haystacks. And sunflowers.
Another painter – I can’t recall his name –
Gave us portrait upon portrait of
The same woman. He knew the
Countryside where her breast
Swept gently upward and then descended
Toward heaven on the long highway
Of her arm. Still, there was
Mystery.

I know a word that sits each morning
In the leafless top of an old tree
Outside my window. I chart the
Shifting shadows on its face as the
Rising sun moves from solstice to solstice.
In moonlight, its wings glisten like a
Newborn lamb in the halo of a shepherd’s lamp
When breath leaves luminous tracks
In the air.

In the woods, I keep a discreet distance to hear this word
Speak itself to snake skins and mouse burrows and
Tufts of rabbit fur caught in sagebrush.
My journal fills with awkward translations: the bowed
Backs of willows paying homage to snow; Venus near
The pink horizon of a winter sunrise; the
Passion play performed in my daughter’s eyes
When a barefoot porcupine crosses
Our path.                                                                 

Occasionally, at my desk, when I am quiet and
Looking the other way, I catch this
Word among others on the page,
Like a chickadee knocking on pine cones, and I
Hold my breath. I want to see deeply, to know.
But the sound of my longing always stirs
The branches, and the word flies from the
Corner of my eye, and, like magic,
Is gone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment