Monday, September 9, 2013

One Free Man


(I wrote this poem in 2003, just after the U.S. bombing started in Iraq. I offer it again now as another president lobbies fiercely to attack Syria on questionable grounds. Is it time yet to stand up to this ravenous beast? We can, you know.)


A stomach growls.
Claws itch.
A shrouded gland secretes
The acid that will consume
The newest dead,
Cleansing battlefields again
Of any trace of misplaced blood,
Of every hair untimely torn
From the trusting young,
Of every shattered
Fragment of bone
Until nothing remains,
No talisman for the mantelpiece,
No charred artifact to serve the
Fragile hope that
Grief might, this time,
Outlive forgetfulness.

Two back to back warriors,
Light and dark,
Good and evil,
Life and death,
Have marched away from each other
These eons of labored time,
But the earth is round -
The shape of peace -
And this duel has brought them
Face to face once more.

Now let this beast
Feast on me, grind its teeth
On the sun-white, sand-worn
Stone of my bones. I was the
First to die ages ago
Between dragon jaws and
I need no keepsake
Framed in crimson
To look into hungry eyes and
Remember my name:

One free man.
One free man.
One free...many.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment