Thursday, September 12, 2013

Trying to Move a Stone

There was a man who built his house
beside a great stone, as large as a
city bank vault with compartments
where crows came to nest.

“I will move that stone next spring,”
he said to his wife, and when the
snow melted he harnessed the mule
and he tried. And tried.

The next year he said, “Now I know how,” 
and pressed a lever into
the fleshy dirt beneath the stone,
and he tried. And tried.

Years passed, and the man spent
more and more time sitting beside
the stone, building and rebuilding
contraptions in his mind to try.

When the man was old and tired of
trying, he went out to the
stone one morning as the
mist was lifting off to fly home,

and he said, “I have spent my life
trying to move you. Now I set you
free. Do as you please.” The stone said
nothing, but the lichen loosened its grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment